General FAQ incoming international students

Where can I find general welcome information?

Please check our Welcome Guide International Students 2020-2021 for more general information. If you don't have a printed copy yet, please pick-up your copy with the international office of your Ghent University faculty.

Where do I go upon my arrival in Ghent?

If you haven’t completed your enrolment, finish this first. Please mail your enrolment request as soon as possible to

The International Support Team can help you with questions about: first steps to take, registration procedure, visa, insurance, sports, personal problems, student life, financial problems, banks, ... You can contact the International Support Team by mail or phone, or you can make an appointment. Go and find them through their contact page.

How do I enrol?

All degree students need to complete their enrolment online by contacting the Registrar's Office. Please mail your enrolment request as soon as possible to It is not necessary to wait until you have arrived in Ghent to send your request.

Are there welcome activities organized by Ghent University?

Please find all information on the welcome webpage.

Where can I find my proof of enrolment?

You can find all documents related to your enrolment in MyOasis

How can I get my student card?

When the enrolment has been completed, the student card will be sent to your address in Ghent. Please make sure you have updated this address in MyOasis

How can I get my UGent mail account?

Due to Corona restrictions, your enrolment will be done back office this year. As soon when we have enrolled you back office, you receive an e-mail with a link to activate your Ghent University Account.

More information on your account and its settings

I am an exchange student. Where can I have my confirmation of arrival signed?

Please send your confirmation of arrival to
The International Support Team will sign this digitally. Please make sure to complete your name and arrival date.

Where can I find accommodation?

Our housing department ( can help you with the search for a room.

A good way to start looking on the private market, is to check out the offers on (please find the translation button in the right hand corner).

Where can I find my faculty?

Information on the faculties

Where can I find the International Support Team?

You find the International Support Team through their contact page.

I am an exchange student. Where can I go to change my learning agreement/curriculum?

For all questions about academic matters (learning agreement, courses, exams, etc.) you can contact the faculty international officer of the faculty you are applying to. You can find their contact details on their website

Please contact the 'FCI administrator'.

Can I take online classes?

When you are enrolled and you activated your UGent account, you can access Ufora where you will be able to take the available online classes. Please note that the classes have to be in your curriculum.

How do I connect to the UGentNet?

How and where can we print?

In the city there are many copy centers.

More information on the UGent facilities for printing, copying and scanning

Where do I go to register in the City of Ghent?

Please find all information on the website of the Migration Desk of the City of Ghent.

Please note that registration can be done online (link above).
If you are in quarantine at a different address than where you’ll register your stay in Ghent, please wait until the end of your quarantine to start-up the registration process.

Where can I open a Belgian bank account?

The University of Ghent has a partnership with ING Bank Belgium, office Kouter.

You find this office at Kouter 173, 9000 GENT.

At the moment ING Bank Belgium, office Kouter only works on an appointment basis. You can schedule an appointment by sending an e-mail to Share your phone number within your appointment request so that you can be contacted.

Appointments are made from Monday till Friday between 09 AM and 12 PM and between 2 PM and 4 PM.

To request an ING bank account, you will need the following documents. These documents can be sent attached to your appointment request to speed up the process of opening an account:

  • passport and/or your foreign identity card
  • letter of admission in the university (PDF file)
  • rental contract
  • registration at the immigration service of the city of Ghent, if you received it already (annex PDF file)


Another possibility is to open a Belgian bank account through

Can I take language classes in the University Language Centre?

Yes! We would love to welcome you in one of our (mainly) online classes! Would you like to find out more?

Visit our website or take a look at this flyer (click on ‘language courses for international students’).

Interested in learning Dutch? Watch this video of fellow students and this video to meet your teachers already!

I need a doctor. Where can I go?

Medical service — Info for Ghent University students (