Faculty interim fellowship

The resources of the Faculty Research Fund can be spent annually to Faculty interim fellowships.


A faculty interim fellowship offers a financial bridging for researchers who already obtained or will obtain a PhD before 1 June 2023 and who have a real chance of obtaining a junior postdoctoral personal mandate with external funding in the near future. 

The period to be bridged starts on 1 November 2022 at the earliest and ends on 30 September 2023 at the latest.

The Faculty Research Fund will bear 75% of the salary costs, while the remaining 25% must be paid by the candidate’s supervisor. A postdoctoral recruitment for the interim fellowship is only possible if the PhD is obtained before the decision of the Scientific Research Committee (28 September 2022 - date subject to reservation). If not, the interim fellowship will be financed by a pre-doctoral recruitment. If there is already a current UGent contract that overlaps with the period of the interim fellowship, the transfer of the labour costs will take place after the end of the overlapping period.

Profile and conditions

  • You hold a PhD by thesis (or a degree or a diploma or certificate recognised as equivalent in accordance with European Union directives or a bilateral agreement) or will obtain a PhD before 1 June 2023.
  • You have not previously received this fellowship.
  • You can apply maximum two times for the same fellowship.
  • You will fulfill the faculty interim fellowship on a full-time basis.
  • During the faculty interim fellowship, you will submit an eligible application for a junior postdoctoral personal mandate with external funding. With this application, the supervisor is affiliated with the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences of Ghent University.

Application and selection procedure

Applications must be submitted between 1 July 2022 and 22 August 2022 through the online application form.

All applications will be assessed by the faculty Scientific Research Committee, which will base its opinion on the evaluation of the project and the qualifications of the applicant for the interim fellowship. Two scores will be awarded: a applicant score and a project score. Both scores will be given the same weight, with a final ranking based on the total sum.


Contact Kim.DeKeyser@UGent.be